In case you have tried to learn Arabic on the internet by using free sources you must already know that it is a difficult task. Not only because Arabic is quite difficult foreign language to learn, but also because it’s not easy to study any language from separate pieces and without a solid learning structure. It does help you to improve some skills and repeat & learn new words; however it might be still difficult to communicate in a new language confidently.
This is where a course like Rocket Arabic might come in handy. Rocket Languages is quite well-known for its Spanish, German, French courses online. It brings together components of both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur to develop a mix of both of types as you’ll learn via audio lessons and different software programs, games as well as flashcards. Rocket Arabic was developed by a native speaker from Egypt – Amira Zaki so during this course you will hear Egyptian dialect of this foreign language. Some of the components of Rocket program might not be called extensive; however, it’s well rounded and quite enjoyable method to study Arabic.
What is Included in This Program?
The Premium edition of Rocket Arabic provides learners with a total of 94 lessons. 33 lessons can be found in a form of audios and they are aimed at teaching learners how to communicate in Egyptian Arabic. These lessons are interactive so instructor will constantly prompt you to say different phrases in Arabic. The other 29 lessons in Rocket Premium are dedicated to Arabic writing. You will find videos and other studying content that will teach you writing script of Arabic. In addition to that Rocket provides learners with 32 lessons where they can find explanations on Arabic grammar & language structure and also some information on Arabic culture is given too. By completing all 94 lessons in Premium edition of Rocket learners can expect to achieve intermediate level in Egyptian Arabic.
Since one of the teaching strategies of Rocket is to improve learners ability to recall studying material, it provides users with a few different software’s. One of these software’s is called Hear it say it. It is designed for improving your pronunciation and learning Arabic vocabulary. With this software you play an audio of a word or phrase and then you have to guess the meaning of it. To improve your pronunciation you can also use a Record Tool and record yourself saying it and later compare it to a native speaker. After completing lessons you can use another tool, which is called Know it. It works by showing you random words and phrases in English, which you have to translate into Arabic later. To improve writing skills of Arabic language, Rocket offers another useful tool – Write it. It works by playing you an audio of a word or phrase and then you have to write what you have just heard. The newest practicing tool released by Rocket is Play it. This particular program uses conversations from interactive Rocket audio lessons. The main aim of Play it tool is to make learners more prepared for actual real life conversations with Arabic speakers. In addition to these mentioned software’s Rocket also provides learners with flashcards and quizzes that are also useful for checking your progress with Arabic language and improving overall retention rate.
When it comes to social features, Rocket offers it’s learners an access to a forum. There you can always ask for help if you find something difficult or get some tips and advice from a tutor or other Arabic learners. Additional support is also available via phone or e-mail in case you have technical or other issues.
It can be said that Rocket pays quite a lot attention to making sure that Arabic learners are motivated to study further and improve their language skills. Some features that are useful for this purpose are leader board, badges, points and optional weekly e-mails on your progress. Also while using this course learners are able to track and review their overall progress at all times. Advanced tracking in Rocket program allows to rate difficulty of each activity and see which parts in this program are already completed.
The fact that Rocket is an online course and part of studying content in it comes in a form of audios, makes it a very convenient program to study Arabic while on the go. The app that comes together with this course allows Arabic learners to access studying content while using any smartphone, tablet or computer. So even if you have a very busy schedule, you can still find a few minutes of your time daily and complete a few activities in Rocket.
The best part of Rocket Arabic is that you can try it for free and see for yourself how well it works for you. So basically you have nothing to lose here, only to gain. With a free trial you will be able to access interactive audio lessons, language and culture classes along with tips provided in a daily newsletter. All you have to do is complete a short form at the official Rocket Languages website and provide your e-mail and name. After that you’ll get access to free Arabic lessons.
What Do People Reviews Say?
When it comes to reviews of Rocket Arabic, it can be said that they are very positive. In fact it would be quite difficult to find any negative feedback about this Arabic learning program. Some frequently mentioned benefits of Rocket are that it is very dynamic course, it teaches all areas of Arabic, it allows learners to study on the move and it keeps users sufficiently engaged & motivated to study further and improve their language skills.
Despite that, some users of this course mention that they found too much English in Audio CD’s, which makes it difficult to immerse into Arabic language fully. Also since Rocket teaches only Egyptian Arabic, this makes it a suitable course only for a limited number of learners. You can find are a few testimonials from users of Rocket Arabic bellow.
For more consumer reviews of Rocket Arabic course visit the official page here.
Review of The Main Pros and Cons.
- In case you want to test features & material included in Rocket Arabic course you can do so by registering for trial lessons in the official website, which is completely free;
- Rocket teaches Egyptian Arabic, which is probably the most widely understood dialects of this language throughout Arabic speaking countries;
- This learning program provides learners with studying material on speaking, writing, grammar, listening as well as reading, so with Rocket you can improve all areas of Arabic;
- Rocket program has self-rating feature that allows to rate how well you mastered each lesson or phrase and come back to them later. Also you will need to do quizzes so with Rocket it is easy to keep track of your progress when learning Arabic;
- In Rocket course you will find a few motivation boosting features like badges and leader board that are useful for keeping you motivated to study Arabic further and improve your skills;
- Software’s like Write it, Hear it Say it, Know it, Play it and games & flashcards in Rocket program makes learning Arabic more fun, so you are less likely to get bored. All of these mentioned programs also help to keep retention rate high when studying via Rocket course;
- Extensive culture lessons are included in Rocket course too, which are essential for unique languages like Arabic;
- With Rocket course you can also learn how to write in Arabic scrip. Premium course includes a total of 29 writing lessons that come together with embedded videos;
- Dialogues in the audios have a transcript in both English and Arabic, so it’s easy to follow and understand every part of the conversation;
- Since audios in Rocket are recorded by native Arabic speaker you will learn good pronunciation from this course. Also Rocket Record feature in this course will allow you to compare pronunciation of different Arabic phrases and words with a native speaker;
- Audio lessons in Rocket course are interactive, which means that you will constantly need to say different phrases & sentences in Arabic. Due to this you will be encouraged to speak this foreign language out load, which as a result will make you more prepared for real life conversations;
- This course teaches learners only the most essential phrases & words, which are needed when traveling to Arabic speaking country;
- Rocket has quite a useful feature – Phrase Finder (finds different Arabic phrases and words within course content), which makes this program a great alternative to the dictionary;
- It is very convenient to learn Arabic via Rocket program while on the go, since audio material can be downloaded and also free apps allow to access material in this course via different devices;
- Premium course from Rocket includes free Survival Kit. This bonus material contains essential Arabic phrases & words that come together with audios so you can learn how to pronounce them correctly;
- With this course you will also get access to Arabic learners forum where you will be able ask questions, communicate with other learners and tutor of this course.
- It can be said that Rocket is one of the cheapest options to start learning Arabic online (price ranges from $99.95 to $149.95), so it’s a great value for money. Other courses are priced almost two times more, even though they do not offer more features or material to study Arabic from;
- In case you will change your mind about Rocket Arabic course with 60 days, you can ask for refund, since it offers money back guarantee;
- At the moment there is only one level available of Rocket Arabic, so it is only good for beginner-intermediate level learners;
- More focused on teaching you how to speak Arabic rather than grammar & writing, so you might need some supplementary material in these areas. Although other programs doesn’t do better job at writing & grammar parts too or doesn’t include them at all;
- In case if you are planning to study without internet connection, the physical copy of this course is very expensive ($299.95), so it’s not really worth it.
- Rocket only offers to learn Egyptian Arabic, which can be seen as a downside by learners who want to study different dialect of this foreign language;
To conclude this review it can be said that Rocket offers one of the best beginner courses for learners who want to learn Arabic. Some of the best parts about Rocket are that this program teaches all areas of Arabic (writing, grammar, reading, speaking and listening) and it includes different software’s and activities for practicing your language skills. In addition to that it is possible to study via Rocket course whenever you are and by using different devices so even busy learners can find a few minutes of their time to study Arabic.
Despite many benefits of Rocket it would be also fair to add that this course material is quite limited and it is mostly aimed at beginners and intermediate learners. Since Arabic is not as popular language to learn as French, German or Spanish, Rocket only offers 1 level of this course. So you would definitely need more studying material in order to reach more advanced level in Arabic. Another thing to mention is that this course is more focused on teaching you how to speak Arabic. While there are lessons dedicated for teaching Arabic grammar and writing, it might be not sufficient for learners who are learning this language for academic purposes.
If we would compare Rocket to other Arabic courses online, it can be said that it is definitely a better choice in terms of price and studying material & features offered. Other courses like Pimsleur don’t include writing part at all and Rosetta Stone doesn’t give explanations on Arabic grammar & language structure and they are priced even higher. Keeping all this in mind, it is definitely worthwhile to give Rocket a try.
Rocket courses for learning Arabic and other foreign languages are available for purchase on official Rocket Languages website. It is possible to buy this course in a form of audio CD’s (+online access) and only online access. Since online access is significantly cheaper (99.95 USD compared to 299.95 USD) most learners choose this version of Rocket Arabic. For Arabic learners who can’t spend much money at the time it is also possible to choose monthly subscription of Rocket (19 USD / per month). So it can be said that Rocket Languages offers different pricing plans, which makes this course suitable for Arabic learners with all budgets.